Tyke, like all other Lacrosse divisions, is based on birth year. For a listing of the registration divisions and their corresponding birth years please check out our registration page here
The Tyke program follows the guidelines as set forth by the Canadian Lacrosse Association Long Term Athlete Development Plan.
The format for Tyke will be:
- Tyke sessions are 1 hour
- Tyke games are 1 hour floor time - 3 - 12min run time periods
- play full floor
- play 5 on 5 (with goalie)
- 3 x 3 nets
- referees on floor to call penalties and explain violations; players who repeatedly commit rule violations will be sent off the floor
- 3 minute shifts
- Contact rule is Place and Push.
- The fall back rule applies when the goaltender is in possession of the ball. All defensive players must enter the neutral zone where they must wait until the ball crosses the restraining line. The goalie must pass the ball to one of the offensive players who must be at least 9 feet from the crease.
- After each goal and the end of each shift, play shall start with the goalkeeper of the team that was scored on or was in possession of the ball at the end of the shift and the defensive players shall fall back to their zone.
- Tykes have two floor times per week - Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings/afternoon
- For the 2019 season, Tyke evaluations will be help between April 6 - April 20. Please check back in the new year for an updated schedule.
- The Tyke season runs until mid-June and ends with a city-wide festival with play against other clubs.
- Tykes require full gear. Visual guidelines of gear expectations are available here.
Please consult ALA Regulation 15.16 for full Tyke rules.
Score is kept and entered into the League Management System.
Throughout the season, in order to encourage the development of this environment, there will be no standings for Tyke. Please note that although standings are not kept and the score is not recorded standard game results procedures must be followed (ie. sending in the game sheets).
Registration Opens on Jan. 1. 2019
For more information, please contact the Tyke coordinator, David McMillan at email@example.com